Lunula uses 2 different laser beams, a violet 405nm antimicrobial beam and a red 635nm healing beam, which works concurrently to penetrate the nail plate and increase the blood flow to the toe, encouraging nutrient delivery for tissue regeneration, increased immune response, and destruction of fungus.
Who Will Benefit
Nails may suffer from damage caused by a wide variety of factors and irrespective of cause, nails and surrounding tissues respond well to the effects of Lunula.
Patients with nail damage will benefit from Lunula treatment. Nail damage can occur from
- Trauma – dropping heavy objects on the nail, knocking toe against hard surfaces, repetitive pressure over the nail during sports activities such as soccer/running, or wearing poor-fitting footwear
- Damaged nail from pedicure or use of artificial nails
- Wear and tear, especially in elderly patients where nails may become thick and crumbly
- Fungal or bacterial nail infection
- Autoimmune disorder such as psoriasis and lichen planus
- Onycholysis, where the nail separates from the nail bed
- Poor blood circulation
- Diabetes Mellitus
How Do You Know If You Have Damaged Nails?
Your nails are damaged if they show signs of
- Discoloration – nails may have yellow, white, dark green or shiny black patches or lines
- Detachment from nail bed
How We Do It
At Atlas Podiatry, we offer the Lunula Cold Laser treatment to improve the overall health and appearance of your nails. Your Podiatrist will be able to assess and advise on your suitability to undergo the Lunula Laser® treatment.
What to expect during your Lunula treatment:
- Nails will be assessed and prepared prior to treatment – nail trimming and thickness reduction may be required if necessary
- The treated foot will be placed into the Lunula device and treatment will last approximately 12 minutes per foot.
- No pain will be felt during the treatment
- The treatment will be repeated at weekly intervals, the number of treatments required will depend on the severity of the nail condition
- Patient education will be given to prevent recurrence of nail damage